Richard L. Barnett
- Bankruptcy – Businesses
- Bankruptcy – Individuals
- Commercial Collections
Mr. Barnett’s practice focuses on debtor and creditor issues both in and out of bankruptcy proceedings. He is among the most respected attorneys in his field and has been rated “AV Preeminent®“ by Martindale-Hubbell, which is a significant rating accomplishment and is a testament to the fact that his peers rank him at the highest level of professional excellence.
Mr. Barnett is an appointed Mediator for United States Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California. He also served as a former Orange County Superior Court judge pro tem.
Business bankruptcy – Mr. Barnett has represented businesses of all sizes in Chapter 11 proceedings, including reorganization of several publicly traded companies. His experience before the Bankruptcy Courts enables him to take practical, cost-effective approaches in reorganization and liquidation bankruptcy proceedings. He also has a background working for a certified public accountancy firm, which helps to provide him with additional insights while working with businesses in their bankruptcy matters.
Personal bankruptcy –As a California State Bar Certified Bankruptcy Specialist, along with 30 years of experience serving hundreds of bankruptcy clients, Mr. Barnett has established himself as a leading attorney in the field. His practical and client-centered approach has earned him the respect of his peers and clients. He works with individuals in Chapter 7, Chapter 11 and Chapter 13 filings.
- B.S., San Jose State University, Business Administration and Accounting, 1976
- Beta Alpha Psi Honorary Accounting Fraternity, member
- J.D., Pepperdine University, 1979
Bar Admissions & Certifications
- State Bar of California, California Board of Legal Specialization, Bankruptcy Law
- California State Bar, 1979
- He is also admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court and all United States District Courts in California
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV” rated, Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
Mr. Barnett’s current and former professional associations include:
- Orange County Bankruptcy Forum
- Federal Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- Commercial Law & Bankruptcy, Tax Law, and Business Litigation sections
- Orange County Trial Lawyers Association
- Newport Harbor Bar Association, former Director and Treasurer
- Former Savings and Loan board member
As the current Mayor of Villa Park, Mr. Barnett is committed to giving back to the community. He has been active in local community affairs for decades. He also holds a pilot’s license.
- Mayor of the City of Villa Park and Finance Committee Chairman
- Orange County Fire Authority, member of the Board of Directors
- Member of the Elks Club and Villa Park Rotary and founder and chairman of the Villa Park Marine Thanksgiving Program